Friday, March 27, 2015

Organizing For America Inspiration - As Submitted

I was inspired by Senator Bob Dole, coming to my small town in Kansas (yes, the Dorothy and Toto jokes remain the same.), campaigning for the state House early in the 1960’s.  Dressed in a fine suit, having his attractive assistant handing out Dole pineapple, being strong in stature and talking with people he knew not inspired me to check out public service.

My best friend’s father had a framed hand signed letter from President John F. Kennedy in his home office, thanking him for things he had done.  I spent considerable time looking at that letter.

My Grandmother had a picture of President Eisenhower and his wife above her telephone stand which included one of her bibles written in German that came with her to America.  She taught me how important it was to support our country and pray for our leaders.  It didn’t matter to her his term in office was over.  She still prayed for the Kansas President every morning.

Being asked to campaign for the Democratic Presidential candidate in the early 1970’s, folding flyers and door knocking, made me feel I was part of an organization much larger than anything I had experienced before.

Time came when I was selected to attend Boy’s State.  My Senator and high school counselor encouraged me to run for Governor.  That surprised me, but in hindsight, is inspiring.

After a 32 year career in the computer industry, I became disabled and lost my job.  My money was drained on expensive medications and soon later had to file for government assistance, something I was paying in to since the age of 15, maxing out the required taxing for many years.

After years of recovery, I was able to start giving back.  In my 50’s I joined the AmeriCorps VISTA, volunteer in service to America, program.  I was assigned as a field organizer for NAMI, national alliance on mental illness.  My position was going in to communities, bringing people together to start a self-sustaining support group.

After contracts were completed, I continued to serve.  I was an alumni of the Corporation of National and Community Services.  I worked 2 inaugurals and MLK days of service in Washington, DC.  I paid for all of my expenses to be part of that organization much greater than myself.

On the first trip, I worked making care packages for our Military at RFK stadium.  The second trip was to be a greeter at the National Mall, giving directions and talking with people from other countries.

I was on the Metro, headed to meet a friend in Silver Springs, MD. when the call came to become a founding member of OFA.  I accepted without reservation.

Today, my eight month old granddaughter, Madison Hope Conyers, wears her ‘Organizer in Training’ uniform I purchased from the OFA store for Christmas.

Today, my health is failing.  I have no regret of the deeds I attempted to do, at the best of my ability.

My granddaughter will be taking my place.

Thank you.

Randy Conyers
Randall (Mott) Conyers
Wichita, KS 67230
316-618-4660












No comments:

Post a Comment